An active member of the Drupal community (mtift on drupal.org), Matthew is a Senior Developer at Lullabot, Drupal 8 configuration system co-maintainer, organizer of the Twin Cities DrupalCamp, Drupal core contributor since 2010, and regular speaker at various conferences and user groups. He teaches coding with free software at various clubs and organizations to K-12 students in his local community.
Matthew started playing violin at age 5 and holds a Ph.D. in musicology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He has taught at the University of Iowa and Bemidji State University.
An avid cyclist and runner, he practices meditation daily and lives with his family near Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- 2007, Ph.D., Musicology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2001, M.A., Musicology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1998, B.A., Music, magna cum laude, Bemidji State University (Minnesota)
- 2014-present, Senior Web Developer, Lullabot (Minneapolis)
- 2009, Visiting Assistant Professor of Musicology, University of Iowa (Iowa City)
- 2006-2014, Web Developer, Wisconsin Public Radio (Madison and Minneapolis)
- 1999-2006, Sea Grant Project Assistant, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1999, Office Manager, Madeline Island Music Camp (Minneapolis)
- 1998, Artistic Planning Intern, Minnesota Orchestra (Minneapolis)
- 1998, Substitute Music Instructor, Aspen Country Day School (Aspen, Colorado)
- 1997-1998, Teaching Associate, History and Literature of Music, Bemidji State University (Minnesota)
- Matthew Tift, "Grateful Dead Musicking" in All Graceful Instruments: The Contexts of the Grateful Dead Phenomenon, edited by Nicholas Meriwether (Cambridge Scholars Press, 2007).
- Matthew Tift, "Musical AIDS: Music, Musicians, and the Cultural Construction of HIV/AIDS" (PhD diss., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2007).
- 2014-present, Instructor, Minnewashta Elementary Coding Club (Shorewood, Minnesota)
- 2011-present, Organizer, Twin Cities Drupal Camp (Minneapolis)
- 2015, Organizer, Configuration Management Summit (UC-Berkeley)
- 2014, Mentor, Tonka Coder Dojo (Minnetonka, Minnesota)
- 2014, Member, Tonka
<Codes>Design Team (Minnetonka School District, Minnesota)
- 2004-2006, Member, State of Wisconsin HIV Prevention Community Planning Council
- 2005, Invited Speaker, State of Wisconsin AIDS/HIV Program (Madison), "Music, Musicians, and AIDS"
- 2004, Producer, Positive Music: an AIDS Benefit Concert (Madison)
- 2002, Founder & Coordinator, Wisconsin AIDS Ride (formerly AIDS Network Cycles Together)